Monday, April 25, 2016

Should celebrities and athletes in particular be role models?

So at first I wanted to write an article about whether celebrities (athletes in particular) but celebrities should be almost obligated advocates for things like domestic violence, mental health awareness and awareness of things the media won't reveal. But first before I could think should they go over the top I had to think should they be role models in the first place.
These thoughts started years ago when I was watching one of my favorite TV shows, Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame  and it was about a commercial done in 1993 for Nike. Charles Barkley was in the commercial and he said I am not a role model. Barkley, at the peak of his career, outraged a lot of the public. So should celebrities be role models? My answer is no but it is more complicated than that.
First of all, it is not black and white. Athletes can be role models sometimes and not other times. Celebrities change. Sometimes they will be great role models for the camera. For example, Brandon Marshall is a huge advocate like mental illness but he had legal problems at points he was not always a role model.
I will focus mostly on sports because of the amazing amount of people that watch sports and that is kind of one of the areas I know best.  But here it goes this my reasoning.
So first of all it needs to be considered that we like to support a team. So athletes might not be a good person or a good role model but they are in their hometown. Is it expecting too much of celebrities to be perfect role models? I think it is. Also as said people change.
Another thing is that with social media and just how we view celebrities they don't get a private moment very often. So Ariana Grande said some things that led to outrage. But, she was in an elevator. You would think that you would have privacy there.
But there is more to consider. Some people might just be quiet and not very good advocates.
But there are three big reasons. First back to the TV show about Charles Barkley the number one reason that you couldn't blame him for not being a role model was simple: He wasn't a role model. If we expect celebrities to be role models people might have role models that shouldn't actually be them.
2nd, we wouldn't appreciate the people who are role models and are advocates for what is right. We would not know who was real and who was fake.
Lastly, and most importantly, what exactly should a role model be. To me I have respect for Demi Lovato because she is a huge advocate for mental health. But, I also like her because she is real. She doesn't try to act perfect. But, if you have a 5 year old do you really want them to see all the struggles? I wouldn't.
So to answer this question there are two part: No we shouldn't expect them to be and we should be more appreciative of the ones that are. Celebrities are just people they are just a sample of the population. I don't know if this answers the question but maybe it gets people thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment