Monday, April 11, 2016

Hermitry Isn’t Always a Great Idea

This was written by my friend Andrew about his college experience and general mental state. Andrew is a student at  Carnegie Mellon University 

When I started college, I viewed it as something that was imposed on me by society. Rather than receiving it with open arms, I deliberately chose to keep to myself and live inside my own head. I thought that I could best figure out what I “wanted” by talking to myself rather than to other people. At first, this worked out relatively well: I was able to sleep at least seven hours per day and exercise three times a week during my first semester, not to mention taking a full course load and ending up on the dean’s list. I was efficient and managed my time well. This, however, was only on the surface, for one crucial thing was missing: integration.
During my second semester, I was confronted by more difficult courses. As I began to struggle, my lack of integration slowly began to take its toll. I was frustrated and losing interest in my courses. Although I still did my classwork, I stopped participating in class and my grades slowly got worse. I started asking myself “why am I here” and blamed my parents and society for my predicament. I was trapped in my own head and in too deep. My lifestyle was ingrained, making change very difficult.
Come third semester, my interest in school was at an all time low. My classes were still difficult, and I had yet to feel integrated. I stopped doing readings and spent almost all my time outside of classes in my dorm room making electronic music (I’ll get to this soon). My isolation was chipping away at my well-being, and I was wasting my education and my parents’ money. Thus I decided to take a semester off.

*           *           *

            You might be wondering how I didn’t go over the edge. I owe this to my friends (a few on campus and a few others at different universities) and family. Thankfully, I was able to share and discuss my thoughts with them which definitely was a lifeline for me. If I had had zero support, I may not be in the stable condition that I am in today.
I mentioned above that I was making electronic music. In the fall of freshman year, I became very interested in electronic dance music (EDM) and started learning how to produce it. I was almost always listening to it; it was a beautiful escape from the harsh reality of school. Although this also helped me cope, being preoccupied with EDM mentally competed with and furthered my dislike for school. It eventually became a crutch and almost an unhealthy addiction.
Deciding to take a semester off was psychologically important for me. Not only did it allow me to recover and reflect, but it also gave me the opportunity to mentally take responsibility for my decisions (and failures, loosely speaking). I accepted that I had dug myself into a hole and decided that I had to remove myself from the challenging environment that I had exacerbated (ironically I was still questioning this decision during the last few weeks of class despite having already filled out the housing cancellation forms). I believe that something as simple as saying to yourself “I’m going to take a semester off,” and then doing it, can go a long way in terms of giving you possession of your own mind.

I plan to return the upcoming fall. I feel that I am ready to go back and face the challenges in a new way: by not being a hermit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment