Thursday, April 7, 2016

Art Supplies I Use

Hello everybody
So today I am going to give some suggestions on art supplies. While I think every person has different preferences I will tell you mine and more some ways that help me not always break the bank. Please remember this is for people drawing for fun and enjoyment if you are drawing
So first supplies I use

  • So I usually use a sketchbook but with regular paper. I bought a 600 page sketchbook which price wise is nice but not good if you are traveling and want to bring it on the go. I also love the big sketchbook because you can very easily see the progress. Honestly if I want to draw on the spot I will use whatever paper I have. Also, if you are like me and not very gentile and delicate all the time I would suggest getting some thicker paper or be careful when coloring.
  • Colored Pencils vs Markers: So this is really a preference. If I am using fancy markers or coloring hair in caricatures then I use pentel markers. However sometimes it is nice to use colored pencils. If you aren't gentile as said about and you put the marker down to hard then it can put a whole in the page or more likely just give it a very unpleasant texture. The benefit is that you will get less marks on the page next to it. At the same time if you use something like sharpie there is a good chance it will bleed through (I even used fine point sharpie and it bled through). So if you are using a sketchbook and you don't mind the copies on the other side of the page then that is fine, I think they're kind of cool. If you use a regular paper just like a single piece than sharpie would work, But what I love about pentel is that they bleed through at least a lot less. 
  • If you use colored pencil I would suggest you get one of those mini pencil sharpeners they are just nice to have.
  • To add on to that if you like to travel a lot I would suggest getting a bag (I use a basic tote bag) you can get tote bags very cheaply. If you like organization then maybe a small pencil case too. A small sketchbook and stuff. Obviously, it depends how you are traveling and what you plan on drawing but just my advice.
  • Pencils: I bought some of those fancy drawing pencils and to me personally they don't make a difference to me. People always have pencils around the house and also that way if you lose them they are easier to replace.
  • Pens: For tracing I use stabilo. I love stabilo I think they are great once again because they don't bleed through the fine point pens. 
  • Canvases: I use canvas panels and when I want to draw on them fabric pens or paint pens. Warning: Paint pens need to be shaken before you use them.
  • Other: I use prismacolor erasers but really any good eraser. I also love like neon and metallic markers and I think they are cool.
Sometimes you have to buy things and just see if they work. Buying bulk is great too especially so you don't have to stop a project if a pen runs out of ink. Also if you go to Michaels they always have coupons.
But there is one big key for me that helps so much.
Let the kid out of you: I buy so much crayola stuff. It's quality is not much different than the more expensive/ "adult" ones. More importantly they are like half the price usually. So they are great.

I hope this helps in some way. What suggestions do you have? What supplies do you like to use? Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment