Saturday, April 9, 2016

What not to say to someone when they are really down

So I decided that every Saturday I will write a mental illness article based on my insights. While I hope everyone reads these this one I hope is seen by teachers and parents.
So when I am really down unless you have a magic wand and are going to make my situation better most things won't help much. However there are some things that will make me angry and way worse so here are the things for me at least and things that will knock me down as quickly as possible. (I am using I and me just to give it perspective I guess)

  • I don't have mental illness but I know what it is like/I know what you are feeling: You may be a great person in every other way, but no you don't. Please don't try to say that you know what I feel like (of course this is if you haven't been through it yourself)
  • Comparisons to others: I don't need to hear how others would handle it. That isn't going to change how I am handling it.
  • Nothing is wrong/It is not a big deal: To you it might not be a big deal but to me it is. What some consider not big deals but to that individual it is. 
  • You can control this: Well actually no. Biologically it is proven that a lot of the times you can't control it. It is not something people ask for they are born with it. 
  • You are being too sensitive: So what? Like the 3rd bullet point it is something that matters to them. Also maybe they are just a more sensitive person. 
  • Man up: Okay first of all this is just a stupid statement. I know a lot of women that are way tougher than me and more "macho male" than me. So that is the first part. Second, that will probably cause them to do the opposite. 
  • Anything that tries to say you are wrong I am right: That is literally rubbing salt into the wound.
Sometimes I think that you need to remember that saying what is right might not be right for that situation, Also be honest in what you can do to help. 

What have I missed (I know a lot of different things) and what do you want to know? Let me know if you have questions I would love to give answers to the best of my ability. Also just remember everyone is different. No 2 cases are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment