Monday, April 18, 2016

Tutorial Tips: Sonny Gray caricature

So I have done a bunch of drawings that I don't think I could repeat exactly but I want to give some tips so I am starting a new section called tutorial tips. Remember that these are just guidelines and I would say yours should not look like a carbon copy of mine. Make it yours.
One of my favorite athletes is pitcher Sonny Gray. So I drew a caricature of him. Please realize that I combine my sports memorabilia collection so the autograph card is not part of the drawing
So looking at the photo I used I picked 3 things that stood out
  • He has a pretty small round head 
  • Ironically there wasn't that much that stood out but I picked some things like I wanted to give him a smile 
  • Eyebrows
Here are some other tips
  1. For me at least baseball caps are hard. So for some caricatures of baseball players I put in there hair. However, like anything else it takes practice
  2. For logos do it in any style you want. So I just put the nike logo and the A's log but those are not things everyone would put
  3. Have your special touch to it. For example I always put in a Adam's Apple if I am doing a neck and I always put the team name on the jersey. 
  4. Put your ears in early otherwise they are kind of hard to add
  5. Lastly, the chin is not supposed to be like that. You should try to put it in the middle. But if you make a msitake you can even it out by making it look like he is looking towards the direction of the chin. 
I hope you enjoy it let me know if there is a drawing you want tutorial tips for or if this inspires you to try and draw it.


No comments:

Post a Comment