Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Why We need to be careful With This and keep Athletes as People

So Ken Rosenthal is one of my favorite writers. He will be and he still is. Of course this means that I am going to disagree with something of his. It is about this article
Making Baseball Players More Popular is a Key to the next CBA (this is also based on a segment I heard on MLB NOW)
Okay so if you read this article you will understand why this is important. There are good reasons and if Ken Rosenthal had written the article differently I would have said yeah that is great.
But he used Zack Greinke. He talked about Greinke walking around San Fransisco and nobody recognized him. But there is one key that he did not mention: Greinke has mental illness.
Then today I heard him talk about Stephen Curry, and how baseball wanted players to be like him with promotions. However, I have a very simple counter: Tim Duncan?
How many commercials do you see Tim Duncan in? How much do you see Duncan marketing and promoting himself? San Antonio is by no means a big city.
Look I am not saying that Ken Rosenthal is wrong in his argument. I am just saying it needs to be done in the right way.
Heck we have a Stephen Curry; his name is Mike Trout. He has already done commercials, has not gotten in trouble and has a great smile. He is perfect.
But not everybody is. Some people might not be comfortable doing it.
Also is it America's baseball marketing bad or is it really everywhere? I get most Yankees games and they were playing the Mariners. Two Japanese pitchers, Hisashi Iwakuma and Masahiro Tanaka, were pitching. The play by play guy Michael Kay was talking about how many people in Japan were watching the game oh and by the way it was 2:30 am.
I understand Rosenthal's argument completely. But he did talk about money. Zack Greinke before this new contract already had over $110 million dollars. He doesn't need more money. If the teams aren't making every penny either you won't hear me complain.
All I am saying is if this isn't done right we won't have the chance to recognize Zack Greinke walking down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment