Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Suggestions for starting art

So I just started art so this is not from an expert but this is what I did. These are merely suggestions nothing more:

  • Start with tutorials: While I understand that some people might not like tutorials they are nice in the beginning as the give you a general idea of how to draw things. I especially recommend this for superheroes
  • Shapes, shapes, shapes: I want to say I am not analytical or mathematical I like being creative. However it is so great when you can see the shapes of each part to give you an outline of what you want to draw.
  • Break it down: With the shapes it is okay if you are not drawing the whole thing at once but break it down into parts. 
  • Just one quick side note it is also amazing how quickly I started to see things as shapes. Like everyday things. 
  • Find what is easy for you: It is nice to have some drawings you really enjoy. Also if you know how to draw something and you are feeling like you are in a slump, it is nice. For me it is fish, and heads.
  • Expect that your favorite drawing will oftentimes be the last one you just drew: Just something I noticed.
  • Go with the flow: What I mean by this is don't feel you have to draw certain things or a certain amount. If you like something draw it it is supposed to be fun. While I say that at the same time...
  • ...You should try different things: Cartoons, Caricatures, animals, abstract, superheroes, characters, portraits, scenery. Full body, head, upper-body, close up, far view. Using sharpie, pen, pencil, paint pen or marker. There are so many combinations of art. One key factor to consider is long vs short. I really like drawing quickly and cartoons it is more like that. My friend for example takes a long time. Both ways are okay.
  • The biggest critic is probably you: Look I understand that there are some drawings that I am like dang I should have done this or darn I should have done that. But I have learned a lot of times the people looking at it don't even notice it.
  • You are not me. You are not Picasso. You are you: Look if you draw a lemon and claim it is Loki from the avengers I will probably say it doesn't. But, things do not have to look an exact way. What matters is that it looks nice to you. Also, that way it gives you a style and to me that is cool.
  • Lastly, it doesn't have to be perfect: This one some people will not agree with but adding to my last point art for me at least is supposed to be something I enjoy. So especially if you are not doing this for school or something, it doesn't have a grade the biggest critic is usually you and people usually like it. As said it is supposed to be something that is fun and so it doesn't have to be perfect. One thing if you think it needs to be (and I apologize to my Pittsburgh friends) 
  • Andy Warhol took a room put balloons in it and that is one of his art pieces: Seriously it is at the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh. The point is people interpret art in so many ways. So enjoy drawing or art or whatever you do and have fun with it.
I hope that this maybe helps somebody in some way. Tomorrow I am going to post on what supplies I use and recommendations for getting supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment