Wednesday, April 27, 2016

BPD College Care Package

Hi everybody,
So I had written in one of my articles I said that a lot of people with BPD need tangibleness which means stuff. But, you are a college student so you either you can't or don't have a lot of money.
That is where I can help you here are a bunch of things that are easy, cheap and will cheer anyone up. Before I go on I want to say that I have very caring friends.
This is also for another situation: If someone is giving you all these gifts and you feel obligated to give them something back. Also there is of course the usual stuff in care packages although I would still make it yourself.
Obviously this will be different for different things
These might take time so I am warning people in advance

  1. Letters or notes or a notebook or some writing: This will have a lot to do with my overall topic but writing is something that people can always look at when they need it. I have all my letters from friends in one place.
  2. An event: Give them a reward instead of a gift (now I want to make it clear this is you giving it not because they ask). Do something that is healthy, watch a movie, make a meal have a facetime session they all mean something. 
  3. Surprise message email or phone call: Do you see a theme yet? A lot of this has to do with communication. But just out of nowhere something that is out of nowhere means a lot.
  4. Something to show you embrace them for them: I literally just thought of this but like a lot of people with BPD are punctual. So get them a watch. 
  5. Something to cuddle with/hold when they are in panic: So for me personally I like to hold something so a stuffed animal a stress ball whatever you think of works.
  6. A tool chest: This is literally one of the cheapest things it is a box. I mean usually they are pretty nice and it is a place to go to when they miss you
  7. Open When Letters: This one is so cool. It is a piece of writing for each situation. One warning if you are looking for topics please make sure you know what you are looking at. Meaning a lot of them are for boyfriend/girlfriend and if you are just friends that might be weird. 
  8. Pintrest: OMG there are so many ideas on pintrest if you look on there for 5 minutes you probably could assemble (in your head) like 10 care packages
  9. Art: Art is great again it is a personal thing and it is something that they can keep. I love art so you can replace this with music or something else if that is what they like.
  10. Videos or recordings: If your friend is the type that calms down when they see you or hear your voice this one is great
  11. Things with inspiration and positive words on it
  12. Jewelry: This can be homemade very easily
  13. Books or movies: If you know where you are going you can get this stuff cheap: why this stuff? It can be used as distractions.
Here to me are the main keys
  1. Making it tangible: Look I love chocolate and Popsicle as much as the next person but it is nice to have something you can keep
  2. Show that you care: Look some people may be saying well DUH right now but I am serious especially if they are like me and gifts are a big deal. If they have worked really hard on your care package they won't be that excited if they think you literally spent two minutes on yours. Also I know lots of colleges are like a reality TV show of who can be the busiest. If you show that you took time out of your busy schedule to make something for them that means something 
  3. Embrace them for them: So what I mean by this is two things but the same idea: If you are giving them things that help coping skills that is basically saying I like you for you also it is stuff that they can use to help them.
  4. Know tone: IF you are writing be very careful. People with BPD have a tendency to question what people mean when they are saying stuff so you don't want to make it harder.
  5. Favorites: So in one of my articles What to expect in a BPD friendship I talked about howo they play favorites but they are not trying to be mean. This is the same thing: They might make a big deal about the care package because they are really excited for it not to put pressure on you.
  6. Personal things: Look if you give something that is either personal to you or written and is personal that means more than some fancy gift it shows that you care.
  7. Have fun with it: So as I said in #5 when I make gifts I LOVE DOING IT. It is like one of my favorite things. I understand I am not as busy as everybody else but if you make it a burden it will become a burden.
  8. Have a theme: Sometimes thinking of stuff is hard. So sometimes it is easier to make it around a theme
  9. Be Creative: I hope that nobody actually copies this list exactly. While I did try to keep this pretty unbiased there definitely things that I like in there. There are things that I haven't thought of/forgotten/fit that person. So be creative.
  10. Use your talents: IF you are good at drawing it makes more sense to put in drawings. Utilize your talents.
  11. Lastly, take your time: You know the best way to do this? Pick up something here another thing there. Make it as stress free as possible. 
Did I miss something comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment