Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What I have Learned in The Last Year

So about a year ago I was at a really low point. I don't want to go completely into it, partially because I don't want to trigger people, but basically I had to get ready to work on my mental health full time for a bit. Anyone who has been there themselves know exactly what I mean. So in the last year, I have found something I like, met some new people, started this blog, I have done a few things. The point that I am trying to make is the year was not easy and I guess I hope that this can in some way help others. So here is what I have learned (ALL OF WHAT I AM WRITING IS SO SO SO EASIER SAID THAN DONE AND I REALIZE THAT).

  • There are some people very close to you who don't understand you: So for me it is mostly my blood family, there are people that just don't get it or don't want to and they can be really smart people. But, that doesn't mean they are smart at this stuff. They are probably going to take you down, they might not even know it and it stinks but it is just something that is part of life.
  • Little achievements deserve to be celebrated... especially if they are big for you: So I had an incident where I said something I had done that I was really proud of and my family laughed at me and I felt like the worst person in the world. In particular if you have something that has not been diagnosed for years every step is important. So go ahead and raise that glass and toast yourself. 
  • This is harder than most jobs: Getting treatment and stuff for mental health... it is intense. Now my friends are entering finals and so I am not saying they have it easy but this is not an easy job either. The skills are hard, there are some days when you just don't know how much more you can take but people don't see that. 
  • People don't see most things: There is a great quote by Kevin Breel that says: If you break your arm people run to sign your cast. If you say you have depression people run away. Well there are two parts to this: First of all if you are having trouble it is okay to tell somebody. Also, give them a chance too don't just assume what they are thinking either maybe they are asking a question because they really want to help or they say something because that is what they are told. 
  • Health 1st Everything Else (school, job) 2nd: Look I live in a family with a professor and they don't completely understand. But, for you to do well in your job or in school you need to be in a good state of mind. 
  • Try to find the positives: This one is really hard. But, if there is something you like embrace it. There is this one saying that I forget what it is called but basically you might fit in with lots of families just not your own. So if there is something you like you should embrace it. 
  • If you don't make your treatment a big deal others won't either: So I go to treatment every week. It is just something I do so when I talk to people I just say well I have this on this day. When people see it almost as just a regular activity it is seen differently. 
  • Don't try to prove your illness especially depression: So when I was in intense treatment I saw this a lot: There were times where people perked up and then they would go down almost in a way to prove that they should be there. Well i wasn't going to do that. I was going to try to enjoy myself a little bit. 
  • I know some really great people in my life: So my family is not my favorite group of people. But I have met some new people and stayed close with a lot of friends from the past. I also found one other important person...
  • Finding the right medical professionals makes a big difference: IT might take a REALLY REALLY REALLY LONG TIME. It did for me but now that I found somebody that works it is great I do see a difference. 
Well I tried to keep these general but I hope this helps people in some way. Oh and to all my friends and to everyone else who has finals good luck you will do great.
There will probably be a part two of this either tonight or tomorrow or before the end of the week,

No comments:

Post a Comment