Sunday, May 15, 2016

How to Pick an Art Project

Hi so I have done a number of "projects". So by project I don't mean like a drawing or a painting I mean a certain amount of pieces. These include Daniel's Animals, Daniel's Faces and Daniel's caricatures. So how do you pick a project what type you want to do. Here are my tips to help everybody out.

  1. Realize your commitment/time: One of the things this blog is for is to raise awareness for mental health. If you are one of those people, like me that is going to take a lot of time doing this then this is the thing for you. But if you are trying this as a skill for a first time don't jump into a project. Also you know the amount of time you have. I am not trying to sound rude what I am trying to say is if you have a bunch of free time it will be different than if you are trying to rush it. 
  2. Pick a material: Is it drawing, painting or paint drawing (using paint pens). Is it in one sketchbook? Is it on one canvas or poster board? Is it on a bunch of canvases? These are questions that need to be answered. 
  3. But they do not have to be answered right away: So I am someone who doesn't like change at the same time I like to do different projects. So for me it is not a smart idea to buy one sketchbook just for a project because I don't know when I will be doing it. 
  4. A project is your own personal checklist... and nobody else's: If you have requests then that is different but realize a project should not have an exact layout. 
  5. Do not start on canvases: Canvases are more expensive than paper. At least practice on paper once or twice and on the canvas I would use pencil first.
  6. Pick who you are making it for and what a theme that that person would like: Most likely it will be for yourself. So pick something you like. If you are that person who groans when a friend says: "Let's go see (a superhero) movie" then don't draw superheroes. Also it is okay to do it based on a recent event (like Captain America civil war so you do superheroes from that movie). 
  7. Know yourself: If you are a fast drawer it will be easier to get a bigger project done.
  8. Pick a timeline and be realistic based on that: So let's say you want to draw baseball caricatures there are so many baseball players. So if you want this to just be a project that you know no specifics when you draw you add it this could work. But if you only have time for a certain amount or don't want to do all baseball players then pick a more specific theme, for example the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates. 
  9. Pick photos you like: If you are drawing from photos don't pick photos you don't like. 
  10. Lastly, have fun with it: This is what the imperfect artist is about. No grades no critics. Just remember no every piece has to be perfect and if you aren't enjoy a project it is okay to scrap it or put it on the sideline. Keep the art though when I say scrap it I mean cancel the project. 
I hope this helps people let me know if there is a project idea you have done or there is a drawing request you would like me to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment