Saturday, September 10, 2016

Why the NFL and NCAA make me agitated

So I was watching Thursday night football and I heard something: apparently a non-team doctor needs to help with the concussion tests now. But it is the team doctor that gets to clear the player. How does that make sense?
I also saw that players were getting suspended for textbooks. Really? These two things put me over the edge where I need to say something.
The NFL and NCAA need to get their priorities straight. Quit caring about stupid things like money over a movie as a wrong and worry about things that are important. Quit saying you care about academics when teams are going to Dublin. You should be worrying about things like the Baylor scandal and realizing the sexual assault is a huge problem among NCAA athletes. You should be putting in guidelines that make the incidents go through the regular police like anyone else. You should be worrying about coaches taking advantage of players instead of just the stupidest small violations. Also worry about all the actually crimes going on and not the rule violations
I want to make clear that most people are good people and are doing the right thing.
As for the NFL well they really got me going. So you are going to have independent doctors but team doctors, who are hearing it from coaches, still make the decisions. Today is world suicide prevention day and a few years ago Jovan Belcher took his own life. There are players addicted to pain killers. But instead you are worrying about Brandon Marshall (the receiver) wearing green cleats, which were to raise awareness for mental health. Or saying you want to do all these things and wear pink for cancer for a month but when Deangelo Williams wants to wear it all year around to honor his mother, you fine him.
GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!
I am worried that there will be more tragedies before there are changes. I hope that I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment