Sunday, September 25, 2016

How to develop your own art style

So I have been drawing for a bit now. One of the things I like the most is when I found my own style of drawing. But, it took a while for me to find and as someone who uses drawing as a skill often it was really important to me. So here are some ways for you to find your style and what you should still do. Realize these are my thoughts they could be absolutely incorrect. But this is what I think
First the most obvious

  • When you draw that is your style: Even if you are using tutorials no two drawings look exactly like even when you are using tracing paper. So realize that. Ironically I finally found my drawing style when I stopped looking for it and I realized the little things that I did was my drawing style. 
  • Don't make it the end all be all: Finding a style is great. However, that doesn't mean don't try other things because you may like them and add them into your style. 
  • It might not be that different/it is the little things: So lets say I tell twenty people of around equal talent to draw a wolf face. They are all going to look pretty similar it is the little things that make it your style. For example, I often you cartoon eyes even in realistic drawings. That is me.
  • Using color is a great way to make it your own style: When you splash something in here or there that is different
  • Be consistent: Now I am not well known but I know with some artists it is the consistency that you know make it them. Sometimes it is also not explainable but if I show you a Leroy Neiman you know what it is. If you want a  style you need to be consistent in showing that it is your style. 
  • Have FUN with it: I do art because I enjoy it and one of the things I think truly made it my style was that I kept trying new things and did what I thought. I overthink things a lot and a lot of times my best drawings are just when I say okay I am going to draw this. 
  • Draw You: Unless Bradley Cooper or someone well known is reading this most people are only drawn by themselves, their family or friends or by accident. So if you are drawing you than it has to be your style because others won't know who it is. 
To conclude finding your own style is great but for me whether I am drawing from my mind or a picture or a tutorial I try to always make sure that there is some me in there. 


Do you have any thoughts? Let me know. Otherwise have a great day 


No comments:

Post a Comment