Saturday, October 1, 2016

Some Art Ideas that are great for self care

Okay so first everyone knows about mandalas. I am not going to talk about them. Remember these are just my thoughts if you get emotional about this and say I think everything Daniel says is wrong and that helps you that's great! I want to make an impact and make people think. Okay here are my thoughts and ideas also some ways to get art supplies

  • First lots of people use art as a skill: Okay so they might not call it a coping skill but that doesn't mean that they don't use it. Don't think you are not normal. Anyone who likes to do art, there is a good chance where they are stressed that is what they will do. 
  • Materials don't have to be super expensive: I did an article on this a long time ago but there are a few more thoughts: First, don't start by purchasing that most expensive stuff because especially if you don't know what art you like and you don't like what you purchase then you have a big pile of stuff. There are some basic ways to save: Canvas panels over cavas, cardboard over portfolio, etc. As for where to buy it? Michaels always has coupons and if you have amazon prime and you are going to order a big item use amazon because shipping is so expensive. 
  • Art will never replace skills: If you use art as avoidance it might temporarily work but you will have to face those fears. However...
  • Art can be used to validate feelings sometimes: So don't use art and be angry and then when you are done you are angrier than you started. My example of how to do it? Jose Fernandez. When he passed away on Sunday I was shocked drawing him was my way of validating my feelings that I was sad.
  • Materials you might want: So while there are lots of different types of art but here a a few supplies that would help along with methods. These are not the really basic things
  1. Tracing paper: This is nice to have if you want to make something and can't draw it free hand
  2. Watercolor pencils: It is so not messy and it adds time for people who want to draw fast
  3. Mixed media book: If you want a book that you can draw and paint (maybe not watercolor) this is the book 
  4. Watercolor book: This is great but any thick paper will work 
Okay here are some other things
  • Use your style and don't overthink or judge: Don't think what other people will think or what to draw just draw it it is why sketchbooks are made and remember it doesn't have to be perfect. Also, if you like to go fast go fast don't try to draw in every detail. However as someone who goes fast...
  • Doing long projects have a longer effect (kind of obvious): But there are ways to encounter that: Draw color and paint. Use big paper. Do more than one project at once. Or get a bunch of projects prepped and then do them all at once. Oh, and another one do a long project but do something that uses quick lines (the best example I can think of is fur)
  • Tutorials can be really helpful: When you are stressed sometimes you need to be focused and with a tutorial you are that because you are being told what to do.
  • Draw cartoons, caricatures, chibi: So drawing these types of things they don't have to be as exact or perfect and honestly they are fun.
  • Drawing in your own style as a coping skill is great. Finding it as a coping skill? ehh: So I think drawing your own style is a great coping skill because it is easy to self validate. But don't try to find it when you are stressed because it is not easy. Also realize using something that someone else uses that doesn't mean it is not yours.
  • Draw what is in your mind: A lot of the time I just draw random shapes and see where it goes. Some of it look not perfect but it also distracts me. Also sometimes especially when you are not doing a specific think drawing music helps because it kind of gives you a mood or a thought. 
  • Use lots of things: For example I saw black canvases I saw them so I tried them. If you don't like it don't waste it just find a creative was to use it.
  • Don't get stressed over setting up: One of the reasons I love watercolor pencils is all you need is a cup of water. It is why a lot of this is about drawing. However for some people setting up and cleaning up is relaxing.
  • If you asked me I have money for one artist item (meaning more expensive) and I use art as a skill what would it be?: A mixing tool. For me that is colored pencils for some people that is paint but the thing where you can really get the colors you want and it takes more time. Also, watercolor pencils are cool.
  • Lastly, have fun with it: Be yourself, don't judge, don't worry about it and realize that like with any skill the feelings will try to creep in. Acknowledge them and keep going and realize that is why one of my labels for this article is easier said than done. 
Also for people that use football as a skill I just want to tell you that there is a game in London tomorrow that starts at 9:30

No comments:

Post a Comment